Did you know that your skin is considered your largest organ? Cosmetic products are absorbed by your skin and go into your bloodstream, affecting the health of every part of your body. Therefore, what you put on your skin is just as important as what you put in your body.
Why go organic?
Organic products are made without harmful chemicals and preservatives, are safe to use and not harsh on your skin. Organic products use natural ingredients such as aloe vera, coconut oil, cocoa butter, white tea, vitamin E, and grapes, which contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are nourishing for your skin. When you use products with toxic chemicals, you are increasing your risk of serious diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s, as well as allergies, skin and scalp irritation, skin damage, hair damage, and hair loss.
Personal Care Products
Here is a list of personal care products that contain harmful chemicals:
Hair care products
Soaps and lotions
Toxic Chemicals and Why You Should Avoid Them:
Take a look at some of the common chemicals you will find in personal care products:
- Parabens – Parabens are used as a preservative in cosmetics and are a xenoestrogen that can mimic estrogen and interfere with hormone balance. Parabens increase your risk of breast cancer. The parabens used most commonly in cosmetics are methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben.
- Formaldehyde - This is a chemical used as preservative in building materials, household and personal care products. It is also used as an industrial fungicide, germicide and disinfectant, and as you may already know, it is used to embalm bodies at a funeral home. It increases your risk of ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease) and cancer. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies formaldehyde as a human carcinogen. Symptoms of formaldehyde exposure include watery, burning in eyes, nose and throat; coughing, wheezing, nausea and skin irritation.
- Aluminum - Aluminum is commonly found in antiperspirants. It is neurotoxic - bad for your brain. It increases the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease. It can lead to dementia, autism, breast cancer and Parkinson’s disease, as well.
- Toluene – Toluene is found in nail polish remover and nail products. It can affect the nervous system, eyes, skin, respiratory system, liver and kidneys. It can cause tiredness, nausea, loss of appetite, weakness, confusion, numbness, tingling of the skin and dermatitis. Toluene exposure may cause liver and kidney damage, and birth defects.
- Triclosan – Triclosan is commonly found in soaps, deodorants, toothpaste, hand sanitizers, mouthwashes, cosmetics and many other products. It can cause skin irritation, hormone disruption (including thyroid function), interference with muscle function, and contributes to antibacterial resistance. It can cause cancer, heart disease and liver problems. The Environmental Protection Agency has registered it as a pesticide.
- Petroleum – Petroleum is found cosmetics such as lip balms, mascara, eyeliner, nail polish, and foundation. It is a xenoestrogen, disrupting hormone balance. Side effects include breast cancer and breast tumors, suffocation of the skin, premature aging and acne. It can cause allergic reactions, rash, skin irritations, lesions, and cancer.
- Fragrances – Synthetic fragrances contain numerous chemicals that aren’t always listed on the label. They can cause skin irritations, allergies and are linked to cancer. They also disrupt hormone balance.
- Lead – Lead has been found in lipsticks. Exposure to lead is linked to neurotoxicity (learning, language and behavioral problems), reduced fertility in men and women, hormonal changes and menstrual irregularities, and delayed onset of puberty.
How do I find out if My Personal Care Products are Toxic?
The Environmental Working Group has a cosmetics database where you can search for your product to find out if it is healthy to use. Read the ingredients on the label of each product before you purchase it. Be sure to check out baby products, as well, to make sure they are free of harmful ingredients.
14-Day Detox Series
We can do our best to avoid as many harmful chemicals as possible, but we are inevitably exposed to them in the air, cosmetic and household products, and our food. It's essential that you detoxify your body on a regular basis from these toxins. If you are experiencing exhaustion after a good night's sleep, difficulty losing weight, having a hard time concentrating, or just want to feel good and refreshed, try our 14-Day Detox. In just two weeks, you’ll be amazed at how much healthier you feel. Click here to order your 14-Day Detox Kit now.