Independence Day is upon us, and our favorite thing about it is the delicious picnic-style foods! If you are on the Hotze Optimal Eating Program (also known as a yeast-free eating program), then you may be wondering what you’ll be able to enjoy. We recommend bringing your own special dish to the party that YOU can have, like our Red White & Blue Superfood Fruit Salad for an extra special healthy treat. It tastes great, it’s full of nutrition, and better yet…YOU can have it on yeast-free (as long as you are past the first two weeks of the eating program).
Fruit salad is pretty common, but this fruit salad has 4 superfoods that we know you’ll love.
Chia was originally used by the Mayan and Aztec warriors for super strength. Each seed contains calcium, magnesium, iron, fiber and protein.
Blueberries are considered a superfood due to a very high antioxidant content. These antioxidants help lower inflammation.
Coconut is another superfood that has antimicrobial properties, so it helps lower Candida, or yeast.
Cinnamon is an adaptogenic spice that helps regulate blood sugar.
All these superfoods will leave you with superpowers for the games the kids want to play!
Red, White & Blue Superfood Fruit Salad Recipe
1 Cup organic strawberries hulled and sliced (save 4 pieces for topping)
1 Cup organic blueberries
3 Tablespoons nonsweet coconut milk
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chia seeds
For whipped cream:1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
1 tsp Sweet-n-Natural
1. Rinse the strawberries (minus 4 pieces) and blueberries and put into a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add the coconut milk, natural sweetener, cinnamon and chia seeds and mix well.
3. Put into 4 small ramekins.
4. In separate bowl, mix organic whipping cream and Sweet-n-Natural. Whip until whipping cream consistency forms.
5. Top fruit salad bowls with whip cream and the saved pieces of strawberries.
Serve and enjoy! Have a safe and happy 4th of July!